What is Patience? Best Patience Quotes and Definitions
Patience is both a skill and a quality. It is the ability to wait for things. It isn’t a passive thing. It’s an active thing. It is the balance between the two extremes of impatience and complacency.
[Let us know in the comments about your favorite patience story or inspiration.]
What is patience?
Patience is both a skill and a quality.
Healthy patience is the ability to wait for things.
It allows for both delayed gratification and proactivity.
“Patience is not passive; on the contrary, it is active; it is concentrated strength.”
― Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
What is Too Little Patience?
We're pretty familiar with what it looks like to have too little patience. It extracts a cost to ourselves, our ability to achieve things, and our relationships.
Examples of what's on the too little end of the patience continuum:
- need for instant gratification
- frustration with people who need time to do something
- rushing things that need more time
- anxiety about things that need more time
- prematurely giving up on goals
- false urgency
"The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it."
― Arnold H. Glasow
What is Too Much Patience?
We don't as often talk about the downsides of being too much of something that is considered a virtue, but when patience is taken too far it becomes unhealthy. Like too little patience, too much patience extracts a cost to ourselves, our ability to achieve things, and our relationships.
Examples of what's on the too much end of the patience continuum:
- waiting too long
- not holding people accountable
- giving people too many chances to change
- waiting for things to just come to you rather than being proactive and trying to make things happen
"Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice."
― George Jackson
What is the Meaning of Patience?: Inspiring Quotes About Patience
1. “Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind.”
― David G. Allen
2. "Sometimes things aren't clear right away. That's where you need to be patient and persevere and see where things lead."
― Mary Pierce
3. "Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish."
― John Quincy Adams
4. "Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears."
― Barbara Johnson
5. In the fake it until you can make it category:
"Patience is the art of concealing your impatience."
― Guy Kawasaki
6. "Our patience will achieve more than our force."
― Edmund Burke
7. "We could never learn to be brave and patient, if there were only joy in the world."
― Helen Keller
8. "There is something good in all seeming failures. You are not to see that now. Time will reveal it. Be patient."
― Swami Sivananda
9. "If I have done the public any service, it is due to my patient thought."
― Isaac Newton
10. Patience helps you listen to other people―a key to healthy relationships:
"Wisdom is the reward you get for a lifetime of listening when you'd have preferred to talk."
― Doug Larson
11. "Wise to resolve, and patient to perform."
12. "Patience is necessary, and one cannot reap immediately where one has sown."
― Soren Kierkegaard
13. "I'm patient."
― Michael Jordan
14. "You must first have a lot of patience to learn to have patience."
― Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
15. "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience."
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
16. "Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet."
― Jean-Jacques Rousseau
17. "He that can have patience can have what he will."
― Benjamin Franklin
- Ann Silvers